Friday, January 7, 2011

And that's a wrap

Sandwiched between snow days, this past week has been one of the best I've had. On break with not very much to do as most people have already headed back to school, I have more than ample time for riding and post-ride cooking. So, in the seven days before today's latest dumping of snow, I compiled 26 hours in the saddle and 450 miles. And that's not to mention the 18 pancakes consumed, three per day except for Sunday. That's a whole lot of flapjacks, so I would say that I'm pretty proficient at the griddle now.

Normally, I wouldn't be exactly thrilled by a fresh dusting, but today's could not have come at a better time. I was more than ready for a day off, and I have no issue with heading to the slopes tomorrow in lieu of riding. If everything is clear by Sunday or Monday, I can go at it again and call it a block.

As the saying goes, "All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy." And though I by no means consider riding my bike work, something has to get you through the last hour of a long winter day. So, as my mind has started to wander and sugar levels have started to drop, dinner menu planning has kicked in and gotten me home hungry but happy. Here are some of the highlights from this week's cooking.

Coq au vin with roasted potatoes and green beans.

Whole wheat pancakes with apple butter. (We ran out of syrup.)


Mushroom bourguignon (with fettucini)

No comments:

Post a Comment